Help Fuel the Future for the Children of New Orleans
We’ve partnered with local non-profit Fuel the Future Foundation to help under-resourced kids in New Orleans by providing necessary meals and after school programs, advancing the potential for these kids to shape the future.
Nationwide, 62% of teachers regularly see students come to school hungry.
Louisiana has ranked 49th in the U.S. in child well-being each year since 2000.
24% of Louisiana children live in poverty
42% of Louisiana children live in single parent families
Hungry children do more poorly in school and have lower academic achievement because they are not well prepared for school and cannot concentrate.
Here’s how you can help onsite!
1. Assemble food backpacks (Celestin E Ballroom on Monday & Tuesday)
The backpacks will be sent home with children over the course of multiple weekends and holidays, when they do not have access to their school’s breakfast and lunch programs.
2. Donate computer equipment - Have a laptop or tablet you no longer use? Bring your old computer equipment and drop it off at our registration desk and we will donate these items to the Foundation’s Summit After-School Club, which provides computer literacy programs for 3rd and 4th grade students.
3. Donate funds - Every dollar counts! We are collecting donations (visit our registration desk or one of our information desks onsite or donate online September 14-17) for Fuel the Future. Donate online at http://www.fuelthefuturefoundation.org/donate/. The Linux Foundation will match donations dollar for dollar. Just $5,000 feed 30 kids for a full year!
Fueling the Future Interactive Art Wall
Inspired by the “Before I Die” interactive public art project that began as an experiment by Candy Chang on an abandoned building in New Orleans and has become a worldwide phenomenon with over 300 walls stretching across 50 countries in 20 languages, this is your chance to reflect on and share what your hopes and contributions are for the future. There are no rules...your response can be specific to your work, your community, your family or your life.
Technology Showcase Photo Scavenger Hunt Information
Our sponsors are sending you on a wild GooseChase...to win awesome prizes!
LinuxCon / CloudOpen North America is sponsored by the best companies in the Linux community, and this year, we’re sending you on a mobile photo scavenger hunt to help you learn more about these companies, have even more fun at the conference, and win prizes! Here’s how it works:
1) Download the free GooseChase app from Android or iTunes.
2) Choose the the LinuxCon + CloudOpen North America Tech Showcase game. (Search 'Linux' if it doesn't appear right away.)
3) Select and complete Missions to earn points. Missions consist of small, fun tasks for which you take a picture with your phone and submit for points.
4) The most cumulative points by end of day Monday and end of day Tuesday wins!
Winners will be announced live at the Booth Crawl Monday evening and at our morning Keynote session on Wednesday. The leaderboard and photos will be streaming in the Celestin Foyer throughout the conference. What are the prizes? A Lytro Camera and a GoPro Camera and more great prizes donated by our sponsors!
Harmonicas are a New Orleans staple, and essential to blues and jazz music. This is your chance to learn to play - or jam with Smoky Greenwell, a local legend who has shared the stage with some of the greatest jazz and blues performers of our time. Smoky will be onsite Monday - Wednesday between 12:00pm - 2:00pm for free Harmonica lessons. Signage onsite will detail the location. Feel free to bring your own harmonica or use one that we have provided.
Get your game on in our Gaming Lounge in the Strand Foyer! Play giant jenga, air hockey, ping pong or one of our vintage arcade games! Open daily during conference hours.