Full-Day Course: FOSSology - Hands On Training
Date: Friday, November 18th.
Time: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
To add this to your existing Open Compliance Summit registration, please click here.
FOSSology is an open source license compliance software system and toolkit. As a toolkit, you can run license, copyright and export control scans from the command line. As a system, a database and Web user interface provide you with a compliance workflow. License, copyright and export scanners are tools used in the workflow.
Analyzing open source license compliance requires expert knowledge. As a consequence the use of the tool requires understanding of license analysis problems and how they are covered by FOSSology. This training will therefore provide the following elements:
- Challenges in real world examples at license analysis of open source components
- Learning how to cope with license proliferation and custom license texts
- Efficiently managing large open source components with heterogeneous licensing
- Saving work with reusing license conclusions of open source packages when analyzing a newer version
- Getting an overview about an example workflow for component analysis with FOSSology
- The course allows and encourages to perform the presented functionality in a hands on manner. Attendees use their computers to directly perform presented tasks on their own FOSSology application. As an open source project, anyone can easily install FOSSology using a pre-built docker image from docker hub or vagrant / virtualbox on most platforms.
This course will be valuable to anyone concerned with and involved in Open Source Management, including operational and legal executives, software development managers, open source program managers and developers. It requires basic understanding of software licensing. If not, it is recommended to have performed the training Compliance Training for Developers (LFC191) available here.
About the Instructors:
Michael Jaeger (The Fossology Steering Team) and Kate Stewart (The Linux Foundation) will administer the course.