If you are planning to participate in the hands-on workshop session, it is highly recommended that you review the below pre-requisites and tasks in order to maximize this workshop.
- A Kubernetes cluster. For doing the exercise on your local machine, you can use Kind, Docker Desktop, or Minikube.
- The kubectl program (part of Kubernetes) configured to talk to your cluster
- The Helm 3 client
- Optionally, the Helm 2 client
We will provide a preconfigured download that will help you set up your cluster for a practice migration. You will need the kubectl command to install this bundle.
- Install the pre-configured bundle that will set up a Helm 2 environment, complete with Helm 2 releases
- Install and configure Helm 3 and the migration plugin
- Run the migration
- Validate the migration
- Troubleshoot the odd edge cases
- Perform an upgrade on an existing release, but with Helm 3 (in other words, verify that the migration can be used as the basis for further use)
This workshop will take anywhere from 1-2 hours, depending on how quickly you want to work, and how in-depth you want to get.